Burnt to Blondie
Blondies have been something that I thoroughly enjoy because it’s like a kitchen sink cookie in a brownie form. Once you have a delicious base you can add any mix ins you want! Yet the many attempts I made were nothing like they should be and were very reminiscent of my foray into coconut flour brownies baking... and for awhile it seems to be a repeat of history.
I burnt the first batch horribly.
The second batch refused to release from the paper.
The third batch was only slightly burnt yet undercooked and foamy. Like how do you get blondies to foam up? My husband even joked I should just call them Brunettes because they they were a nice shade of brown.
Finally after reading multiple blogs and learning from each fail I decided to give it one more try. Instead of melting the butter I kept it very soft- every recipe said to melt the butter but I felt this kept failing the integrity of the blondies and making them more of a dad joke than dessert. The brown sugar was a gently filled cupful instead of tightly packed so it wouldn’t burn as easily while baking.
I used my stand mixer to beat the “butter” and sugar until it was the blondest of blonds I could create. The color change of the batter is very important because this shows there’s enough air in the dough to cook completely instead of burn quickly.
I abandoned the vinegar egg thinking that might have made all the foam and tried yet another type of “egg” to create a better binder.
My typical flour mix was just not cutting it and and tried mixing different flour types instead of just one kind.
With this latest Frankenstein batch I kept my fingers crossed because the last two batches looked like winners but once cooked turned into major disasters. Keeping with my theory smaller sizes cook thoroughly and evenly muffin tins were used.
One last thing I adjusted was the temperature to bake them. I felt like the temperature was not only quickly burning the sugar but not letting the rest of the ingredients cook properly.